Metabolic Syndrome (IDF)
This calculator is based on the International Diabetes Federation (IDF) Worldwide Definition of the Metabolic Syndrome. Diagnosis requires the presence of a BMI >30 kg/m2 or a waist circumference above the ethnic threshold plus 2 of the further 5 components.
Under the ATP-III Criteria only 3 of the following 5 criteria are required:
- Waist circumference ≥ 102 cm (40 Inches) in Men and ≥ 88 cm (35 inches) in women
- Triglycerides ≥ 150 mg/dL (1.7 mmol/L)
- HDL < 40 mg/dL (1.03 mmol/L) in Men; < 50 mg/dL (1.29 mmol/L) in women
- Blood Pressure ≥ 130 / 85 mm Hg
- Fasting Glucose ≥ 110 mg/dL (5.6 mmol/L)
International Diabetes Federation (IDF) Worldwide Definition of the Metabolic Syndrome 2006.
(no author information available yet)
Circulation 2002 December 17, 106 (25): 3143-421
The Metabolic Syndrome (IDF) calculator is created by QxMD.
1. Central Obesity or BMI > 30kg/m²?
Europids, Sub-Saharan Africans, Eastern Mediterranean and Middle East (Arab) populations:
- Waist Circumference - Male ≥ 94 cm (37 inches); Female ≥ 80 cm (31 inches)
South Asian, Chinese, Japanese and Ethnic South and Central Americans:
- Waist Circumference - Male ≥ 90 cm (35 inches); Female ≥ 80 cm (31 inches)